Despite hundreds more houses going up around Yate and thousands more to come over the coming years, local residents were shocked to learn that South Gloucestershire Council has no long-term transport blueprint for Yate and the surrounding area.
So Steve Webb and the local Lib Dem Focus Team have launched a 'Let's Get Yate Moving' campaign to force the Council to plan ahead to avoid traffic gridlock in and around the town.
We are calling for:
- A new Park & Ride next to the South Gloucestershire Council offices on the Badminton Road
- the Yate-Bristol suburban rail line to be included in the electrification project for the Great Western mainline
- Improved bus services, particularly serving the residential areas of North and South Yate, Dodington and Chipping Sodbury
- Cycling to be made a key contributor to reducing traffic congestion on our roads, improving the health of local residents and increasing employment opportunities, especially for lower-paid workers.
- Support for the key strategic cycle link from Yate via Westerleigh to the Railway Path, which will give access to jobs in Bristol, Bath, Emersons Green and the surrounding areas and link up with the proposed Metro Bus network.
- In the longer term we would like to see another strategic cycle route from the Yate area towards the North Fringe employment areas, linking up to the cycle network that currently stops at Winterbourne.